Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Kiana's Ladybug and Kai Lan Cakes

I like crafty things. I like playing with color, and composing things. The thing that is special about cakes for me is that it is something I can do for other people. And unlike knitting, you don't have to worry about size or style when you give it away. I wanted to learn how to decorate cakes because I can give it to people I love.
We have been waiting for Kiana for so long, I was truly excited to make her cake. I love her.


The largest ladybug was made out of half the wilton ball pan. I then covered it with the startip, using the same method I learned during the VW bug class at creative cakes.


I made two cakes the large ladybug cake is a 16 x 16 sheet cake. The other cake is a 4" round. It took about 18 cups of batter for everything.

The ladybug theme was given to me by Kiana's mom. She told me that in China ladybugs are a symbol of adoption.


The cake was done mostly in buttercream, but Kai Lan and the ladybugs on the sides were done out of piped chocolate. The ladybugs with heart antenna (the larger one in the picture above) was based on the party decorations.



The dump cake was covered completely with the grass tip. I tied the two cakes together by color and continuing the ladybugs on the dump cake. Originally the party was going to be a Kai Lan theme, but partyware for that theme doesn't come out until possibly next year.



Happy Birthday Kiana!

No comments: