Saturday, April 25, 2009

Beehive Cake

I made this cake last year for George's birthday. I used gum paste for the black opening and bee bodies, and then used almond slivers for the wings. The rest is piped frosting. The yellow part was a bit of a pain because by the end my wrist was killing me, and it started to sag in a few places. The cake was three layers high and I used cardboard and dowels inside the cake for support, it was heavy. I was pretty happy with it. This is my first time trying to make a non-traditionally shaped cake.

2 comments:

analou said...

That is indeed a beautiful and I am pretty sure a yummy cake. I am sure George will love it. Continue practicing, you will be surprise the outcome. keep up the good work.

Jo said...

Thank you! I am hoping to get a chance to make more cakes this summer. I really enjoy trying to decorate cakes, but I feel a bit guilty because I don't really like eating cakes.