Saturday, May 31, 2008

Stretching the Pantry

      We are in the midst of a very slow move. This means we are essentially living in two homes at once, and both with only half our stuff.

      So enough background. The fun result of this is that I have been able to be more adventurous with my dinner choices, including two new sauces that I love that are so cheap to make. These make about enough for two adults, a four year old, and an one year old.


Recipe 1:
  1 can of sardines, drained and boned
  4 garlic cloves, chopped
  Olive oil
  Parmesan cheese (about 1/8 of a cup, but really flexible)
  1/2 pound of pasta cooked(I used penne.)

Just sauté up everything except the cheese until the garlic is golden brown, then toss with cheese and pasta.

My husband does not like canned fish, but he loved this dish.


Recipe 2:
  1 can of crab, drained (I got mine from Trader Joes)
  3/4 cup heavy cream
  5 teaspoons chopped basil (I used the frozen cubes from TJs, love 'em!)
  1/2 lb pasta cooked(I used whole wheat orzo)

Just sauté it all up together for a few minutes on medium low heat and toss with prepared pasta.


Very cheap and my kids and hubby gobbled it all up.

No comments: